Friday, February 27, 2009

Oscars 2009 - Hugh Jackman's opening number



Hugh Jackman received a standing ovation from the cream of Hollywood as he opened the 81st Academy Awards with a song and dance number in which he paid tribute to several of the nominated films, including Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, The Dark Knight and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

“Everything is being downsized because of the recession,” Jackman said at the start of the show. “Next year I’ll be starring in a movie called New Zealand and due to cutbacks the Academy said they didn’t have enough money for an opening number. “You know what, I’m going to do one anyway. I stayed up all night in my garage, I put together my own tribute to this year’s films.”

The highlight of the number was a duet with best actress nominee Anne Hathaway, before Jackman wrapped up the routine with a reference to the role he’s known best for in the US. “I am Hugh Jackman, and I’ve waited so long, and no recession can stop my confession or silence my song,” he sung. “These are the Oscars and this is my dream, I am a slumdog, I am a wrestler, I am the reader, I’m Wolverine!”

No comments: